Who We Are And What We Do
A non-profit organization founded in 1983 by a group of Puerto Rican Social Workers dedicated to the enhancement and general welfare of Puerto Rican and other Hispanic families.
OUR MEMBERS ARE…
Social Workers, other Human Service professionals, and students interested in issues that affect and impact the Puerto Rican/Hispanic communities with a commitment to the organization.
OUR MISSION IS…
To organize Social Workers and other Human Service professionals to strengthen, develop and improve the resources and services that meet the needs of Puerto Rican/Hispanic families.
OUR OBJECTIVES ARE…
- To advocate in the interest of Latinos at the local, state and nationwide levels in the private and public sectors.
- To establish connections with other community resources that further and solidify the position of the Latino population in addressing policy issues that impact the community.
- To disseminate knowledge for professional growth to its membership and increase the academic foundation for providing assistance towards that end.
- To be a resource to the Latino Community for information and advocacy.
- To continue efforts to recruit and encourage Social Workers and Human Service students in their professional aspirations.
AMONG OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE…
- Sponsoring the “Diversity and Strengths of the Latino Family” conference
- Co-sponsoring the annual youth conference “La Vision” and other conferences
- Workshops on immigration law
- Sponsoring the first Hispanic Women’s Sorority, Gamma Ce Upsilon, at Stony Brook University
- Acknowledging the work of outstanding advocates by honoring them at our Annual Dinner, e.g. Hispanic Social Worker of the Year, Humanitarian Award and Leadership Award
- Offer a Speaker’s Bureau
- Established a Dropout Prevention mentoring program
- Promotion of Hispanic cultural activities
- Maintain a membership list of professional providers
- Providing scholarships to eligible students in the Schools of Social Welfare at various universities and colleges affiliated with NAPRHSW
- Maintaining a website (you’re on it!)